Popular Posts

Thursday, October 18, 2007

special children

There is absence of reliable statistics, but estimate is that about 2% of children in Pakistan fall in the group of Special Children. These children are deficient in one or other faculty for example, they are either deaf and dumb, blind, mentally retarded or physically handicapped. Physical and psychological needs of special children are different than their more fortunate brethren. These children are sensitive, and deserve different care and handling including education and up-bringing at home.

(As we know that, There are some special children, like mentally retarded, blinds, deaf and dumb and they are sensitive and upset). Some special children are slow in learning. It is not so easy for anyone to accept a significant loss in life, especially for a child. Children can not realize that life is a trial and every one has to face some thing in life. Even though it is not so easy to over come the loss some physical ability, but the family members and teachers can help a child to compensate their loss and live happily with our society.

To teach a handicap child, (special Child) is called special education. Teacher has to play very important role in developing and forming the character of a child. Teaching is not so easy job as we are thinking. Teaching, especially special teaching is very difficult and tough job requiring tremendous patience apart from competence.

According to Islam teaching is very respectful job. There are many responsibilities for a teacher. An educator should always be sincere with their profession and must understand the psychology and problems of students.

It is very important for students to respect their teachers; and share their problems with them. Those who are shy and hesitate do not learn. Here again, it the Teacher who has to encourage such children to open up and seek answers to their questions rather that swallow them and remain ignorant.

It is necessary for everyone to understand that what is education, Education is ornament of women and weapon of a men, It is a basic need of everyone including handicap persons.

Special children need proper guidance and help. Every one can not teach and handle a handicap child because they need a special trained teacher to satisfy their special requirements. The main problem is that in our lovely country most people do not know about the handicapped people and about their requirements. Being Muslim it is responsibility of our society to understand the feelings and problems of a handicap person. Our religion teaches that it is crime to hurt the feelings of any one. It is the responsibility of educational institutions to provide trained teachers and teaching material for special students. So a handicap child can learn happily and become an active part of the society. It is very important for a handicap person to be engaged in some work or pastime because empty mind is devil’s workshop. A handicap person should always keep trying to fight with their loss, because time does not stay for any one. Another very important thing for the society is to treat the special children with respect and care and attention they deserve rather than contempt, mercy or untouchable. They have their pride, and that pride should be respected.

I am a blind girl. I had faced many difficulties, in every step of life specially when I was student. In my past I was quite disturbed because there were many problems. As a girl I had many questions in my mind and I wanted to learn about different topics. Unfortunately it was only my dream. Last year, a software Jaws, changed my life. With the help of this Software, I am able to operate Windows, MS Words and use email and internet. This has suddenly opened new world for me, emotionally as well as knowledgewise. Now I am very happy with my life. It made me glad and confident. It changed my thinking. It made me independent. Few weeks back with lot of apprehension, I wrote an article and when the article found place in DAWN (12th March 2000), my confidence and faith in life was strengthened.

Now I am sure that blinds can work independently with sighted persons. I have start writing articles because I want to share my experiences with other special friends and parents or family members of special children. I want to share my happiness with others. I am enjoying and having fun in making others happy
Shared grief is half the sorrow but happiness when shared, is doubled.
By Shazia Hasan

No comments: